Always in a rush and can't make dinner? Thaw out some frozen lean ground beef or run to your closest grocery store. In the meantime, check out this recipe because you're going to love it! This recipe is great for dinner. Just add a salad and your meal is complete.
- ½ avocado
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup ketchup (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (more or less to taste).
Healthy tip: substitute brown sugar with honey or agave syrup. Same great taste but more health benefits. I’ll cover this topic in more detail in my next blog post.
- Mission brand tortilla chips (the cleanest tortilla chips out there) OR substitute with a whole grain cracker for whole grain benefits
- Brown the ground beef in large skillet on the stove. Drain.
- Add ketchup and brown sugar to the ground beef.
- Let it simmer for 2-5 minutes on low. It should have a thick consistency.
- Once complete, add grated cheddar cheese.
- Scoop out ½ avocado. Don’t eat the pit!
- Scoop avocado and beef onto a chip and eat!
This is an easy and relatively healthy recipe. Don't turn it into rocket science. This recipe is healthy because the ingredients are quality and close to a whole food. It's high in protein and has healthy fats thanks to the avocado. The only real concern is the ketchup because less expensive brands typically have high fructose corn syrup (big no no!).
To prevent over eating, portion out the meal. It's easy to eat the whole thing because it's so good! My recommendation: drink a glass of water before anything, followed by a garden salad, and then enjoy the main meal. Fancy restaurants serve food in that order for a reason!
Stay tuned for next week’s easy salad.
Yours in health,
Written by Andrew Slezak
Certified Personal Trainer, Roam Fitness